Chandigarh, the capital of Punjab and Haryana, is often overlooked as a travel destination. However, this city has much to offer to those who take the time to explore it. From lush gardens and parks to modern architecture and delicious food, here are ten reasons why Chandigarh should be your next travel destination.
- Rock Garden One of the most famous attractions in Chandigarh, Rock Garden is a unique sculpture garden made entirely out of recycled materials. Created by Nek Chand, a government official who started the garden in secret, it now spans over 40 acres and features thousands of sculptures made from broken tiles, glass, and other discarded items.
- Sukhna Lake A man-made lake in the heart of the city, Sukhna Lake is a peaceful oasis that offers boating and other recreational activities. You can also take a walk or jog around the lake’s perimeter, or simply relax on the grassy banks and enjoy the views.
- Rose Garden With over 1,500 different varieties of roses, the Rose Garden in Chandigarh is a paradise for flower lovers. The garden is especially beautiful during the spring and early summer months when the roses are in full bloom.
- Capitol Complex Designed by renowned architect Le Corbusier, the Capitol Complex is a UNESCO World Heritage site that includes the High Court, Legislative Assembly, and Secretariat buildings. It’s a great place to take a walk and admire the modernist architecture.
- Sector 17 Market Chandigarh’s main shopping district, Sector 17 Market is a bustling area filled with shops, restaurants, and cafes. You can find everything from traditional Punjabi clothing to international brands, and there are plenty of places to stop for a snack or a meal.
- Chandigarh Museum and Art Gallery Located in the heart of the city, the Chandigarh Museum and Art Gallery is a great place to learn about the history and culture of the region. The museum features a range of exhibits, including archaeological finds, art, and photography.
- Elante Mall If you’re looking for a more modern shopping experience, check out Elante Mall. This massive shopping complex features over 200 stores, as well as a cinema, food court, and other entertainment options.
- International Dolls Museum A unique museum that’s sure to delight both children and adults, the International Dolls Museum features over 250 dolls from around the world. The dolls are dressed in traditional costumes and arranged in dioramas that reflect their home countries.
- Food Chandigarh is known for its delicious food, which blends Punjabi and North Indian flavors. From street food stalls to high-end restaurants, there’s no shortage of options. Be sure to try some of the local specialties, such as chole bhature, butter chicken, and lassi.
- Proximity to other destinations Chandigarh is well-connected to other popular destinations in North India, such as Shimla, Manali, and Delhi. You can easily take a day trip or a weekend getaway to these places, making Chandigarh a great base for exploring the region.
In conclusion, Chandigarh may not be on everyone’s travel radar, but it should be. With its unique attractions, beautiful parks, and delicious food, it’s a city that has something for everyone. So, the next time you’re planning a trip to North India, consider adding Chandigarh to your itinerary.
Watch our happy customers’ travel videos on FiRST YouTube Channel